WINSTON-SALEM, NC (WGHP) – September is Breakfast Month for a Better Breakfast.
Nutritionists believe that a balanced breakfast can help control weight and improve mental clarity.
Shannon Smith visited Brenner FIT, a pediatric weight management program run by experts at Brenner Children’s Hospital, for healthy breakfast recipes to start the day right.
Oatmeal Breakfast Bowl
Ingredients (4 servings):
- 1 cup oats, old-fashioned, dry
- 2 cups of skimmed milk
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 1 apple, cut into small pieces
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup of walnut pieces
- 1 cup of bran cereal
- 1/8 cup brown sugar or honey
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
instructions (4 servings):
- Add oats, milk and vanilla to a medium saucepan
medium heat. Stir occasionally.
- While the oats are cooking, cut the apple into chunks and
- Measure dried fruits, nuts and grains. Put aside.
- Cook oatmeal to desired consistency, about 5 to 7
minutes. Add fruits, nuts and grains.
- Add cinnamon and the sweetener of your choice.
Ingredients (1 portion):
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup yogurt (Greek)
- 1/4 cup milk (low fat)
- 1 tablespoon of chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon of sweetener (honey, agave, maple syrup or brown sugar)
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/4 cup diced walnuts (almonds, walnuts or pecans)
- 1/4 cup diced fruit (bananas, peaches, apples, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries or sliced ââstrawberries)
- Combine oats, yogurt, milk, chia seeds, sweetener and cinnamon in a mason jar; mix well.
- Stir in nuts and fruit.
- Cover the jar with the lid and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, stir well and enjoy cold. Or, stir well and microwave for 2 minutes to enjoy hot.
Mini Egg Quiches
Ingredients (12 muffins):
- Cooking spray
- 3-4 pieces of whole wheat bread
- 1 cup grated 2% cheddar cheese
- 7 eggs
- 1 cup of skimmed milk
- 2 teaspoons of ground mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- dried parsley
- Choose 3 toppings:
- 3-4 slices of deli ham
- 2 Morningstar Farm sausage patties
- 1/4 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh spinach
- 1/4 of a small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup cooked broccoli, finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Thoroughly grease the muffin cups with cooking spray.
- Tear the bread into small pieces. Place bread pieces evenly in muffin cups until they fill about 2/3 the height of each muffin space.
- Choose 3 toppings from the list provided. If you choose ham / sausage and / or vegetables, cut each into small pieces. Sprinkle the pieces of your choice evenly in each muffin pan.
- Sprinkle cheese evenly over each pan.
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, ground mustard, pepper, salt and garlic powder in a bowl.
- Pour the egg mixture evenly into each muffin pan.
- Sprinkle some dried parsley on top of each.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until top is golden brown and cooked through in the center.
Ingredients (1 sandwich):
- 1 English muffin, 100% whole wheat
- 1 fluid ounce of egg substitute or 1/4 cup egg whites
- Salt and pepper substitute to taste
- 1 thin slice of lean ham
- 1 slice of light cheese
- 2-4 pumps of Smart Balance Butter Spray
- 1 cup microwaveable container
- Cooking spray
- Place the English muffin in the toaster.
- Shake the egg substitute well.
- While the muffin is toasting, take a microwave safe container (1 cup size) and spray a small amount of cooking spray into it.
- Pour the egg substitute so that it fills the bottom of the container up to 1/2 inch.
- Add a pinch of pepper and salt substitute, if desired.
- Microwave at 1/2 power for 1 minute. Take out the container and shake it a little so that the liquid egg moves outwards.
- Microwave on 1/2 power for 30 seconds to a minute. Take out of the microwave before drying completely, as the egg will continue to cook on its own.
- Take the muffin out of the toaster and add a butter spray or a healthy spread.
- Place the ham and then the cheese on one half of the English muffin.
- Remove the egg from the container and place it on the cheese.
- Cover with the other half of the muffin.
Ingredients (8 burritos):
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 cup pre-chopped onion
- 1 cup Jimmy Dean Precooked Turkey Sausage, crumbled
- 32-ounce container of egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 8 whole wheat tortillas the size of a burrito
- 2 cups light grated cheese
- 1 cup of salsa
- 1/2 cup sour cream (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Dice the green pepper and measure out 1 cup onion.
- SautÃ© green peppers and onions until tender. Add the sausage and heat through.
- Add the egg whites and 1/2 teaspoon of salt to the pan along with the vegetables and sausage. Mix well.
- Once the cooking is done, start preparing the burrito.
- Using a skimmer (to drain off excess liquid), place 1/8 of the egg mixture on one side of each burrito. Top with 1/4 cup cheese, 2 tbsp salsa, 1 tbsp sour cream (optional).
- Roll the burrito, folding the sides together. Hold the sides in place as you begin to roll the burrito back and forth, tucking the back portion of the burrito under the egg mixture to hold everything in place.
- To freeze them, wrap them well in waxed paper, then in aluminum foil. Place in a gallon freezer bag. Frozen burritos will keep for up to 2 months.
- To reheat, unwrap a burrito and place it on a microwaveable plate. Microwave on HIGH for 2 to 2 1/2 minutes, or until internal temperature of burrito reaches 165ËF.
Banana Split Breakfast
Ingredients (1 portion):
- 1 banana, peeled, cut in 1/2
- Low-fat Greek yogurt with vanilla
- Optional garnishes:
- Fresh fruits Dried fruits
- Mini chocolate chips
- Arrange the banana halves in a serving bowl.
- Pour the yogurt over the bananas.
- Garnish with optional favorite ingredients. To serve.
Brenner FITÂ® Sushi Bites Ingredients (1 sushi roll):
- Whole wheat tortilla (3 grams of fiber or more per serving)
- Possible toppings (choose at least one protein and one vegetable / fruit):
- Protein options:
- Lean cold meats
- Low fat grated cheese
- Light Laughing Cow cheese
- Turkey pepperoni
- Natural peanut butter
- Vegetable / fruit options:
- Avocado, sliced
- Peppers, sliced
- Fresh spinach leaves
- Cucumber, sliced
- Banana, sliced
- Apples, diced
- Strawberries, sliced
- Sauce options:
- Pizza Sauce
- Light mayonnaise
- First place the spreads on the tortillas.
- Then place any combination of the other ingredients above on one end of the tortilla. Starting with the ingredient side, roll into a tube, pressing gently.
- Cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Refrigerate or store in a lunch box with an ice pack until ready to eat.
- Serve with an additional fruit or vegetable to make a balanced meal
- Suggested combinations:
Hummus, peppers, cucumbers, sprouts
Laughing cow cheese, cold cuts, cucumbers, spinach
Pizza sauce, fresh spinach leaves, grated mozzarella
Natural peanut butter, banana, strawberries
Suggest a correction